Pages

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

3ScrappyBoys - newsletter project

Hello!  If you are currently subscribed to the 3 Scrappy Boys newsletter, than you already saw today's layout.  If not, you can sign up HERE

When I first received my March main kit, I was a little stumped on how to use what all was in it.  I have never been a big fan of Studio Calico's papers, so I was starting to sweat when I had 6 sheets of the stuff in front of me and no creative thoughts coming forth.  SO, I ran to an online community and through out the Peep signal asking for advice on what to do or even just some suggestions based on the kit photo, found HERE

I played around for a bit and made some cards and let my mind process what all was scattered across my desk.  I discovered that the patterns were more appealing to MY eye in smaller doses.  And with that thought my mind was off on the creative brainstorming wave.

I have mentioned before that I find a TON of inspiration from other crafters and am trying to really make an effort to try new techniques or even scraplift others to learn new things.  Boy did I learn a lot on this page!


I LOVE the film strip pages that Nichol Magouirk has been posting on her blog over the last few months so I tried to incorporate those and I liked the result a lot.  I even pulled out a sheet of grey cardstock from a previous kit (December maybe?) and tried the double layer on the die cuts...LOVE!  I've taken her True Scrap classes and learned a LOT about stamping so I also did some of that - the tone on tone for the orange cardstock, and the blue.

I keep all my previous kits together in one iris container, and I was sooo glad I did because for this page, I went digging through for lost treasures I hadn't had an opportunity to use before and I found some things that really matched well - the blue cardstock, camera charm, orange polariod, grey cardstock and the ledger pattern film strip.

I even went WAY out of my comfort zone and tried some "messy" stuff.  I sanded the orange coordinates cardstock to tone down the brightness of the shade.  I used the stencil that came in the kit with some orange ink and sort of smooshed a sponge dauber into the pattern to make a little pattern peeking out from behind the film strips.  Totally learned that from youtube!  I then sprayed some Studio Calico shine mist for an extra layer with the stencil.

I loved those Tim Holtz rub-ons that came in the kit this month.  Since they were the only black element(s) on the page at that point, I colored some of the wood veener hearts with a black copic marker and the camera charm (which was from an older kit) - learned that little trick from Nicholjones911 over on youtube!

I hope this inspires you to find new techniques and skills from all those amazing scrappers online!

Nicole

3 comments:

  1. Nicole, I really LOVE your layout !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your layout Nicole, really well thought out and executed beautifully. I especially love the plane in the first frame...too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still love this page, might have to lift it soon.

    ReplyDelete